Creating Scenarios

Easy structure to follow when creating a scenario from the Rapid Elearning Blog: http://www.articulate.com/rapid-elearning/build-branched-e-learning-scenarios-in-three-simple-steps/

The Three C’s of Scenario-Building

I like to keep things simple.  So I use what I call, the “3C” model.  Each scenario consists of a challenge, some choices, and then consequences of those choices.  That’s basically it.

The Rapid E-Learning Blog - 3C model for elearning scenarios

When I build out my scenarios, sometimes I’ll use one branch to let the learners test their understanding.  I don’t score it or anything like that.  I just want to give the learner a way to test what they know.  Other times, I’ll use the branch to sort the learner.  If they get it, they move on.  If not, I can send them down a path to get additional info.  With interactive branching you can also convert a linear elearning course into more of a story-like course that both engages the learner and lets them interact with the content.

I start by creating a generic 3C model where I provide a challenge, choices, and consequences.  Then when I want a scenario, I drop in a 3C.  If I want to continue the scenario, I drop in another 3C.  So I can make my branch as simple or complex as I want it to be.  Once I have the infrastructure built, I swap out the placeholder content with my real course content and I’m done.

The image below represents the structure for a generic three-choice branch.  This is what I pre-build.  I also pre-build two-choice and four-choice branches.  Then when I need them, all I have to do is insert them into the course.

The Rapid E-Learning Blog - generic 3 choice elearning scenario branch

Some ideas for scenario layouts.  I like the second example:

The image below shows three different scenario looks.  There’s the placeholder look that you’d create, and an example of how it might look with real content.

The Rapid E-Learning Blog - before and after examples of scenario templates